HISTORY OF ORANGE LAKE FISH AND GAME ASSOCIATION
The Orange Lake Fish and Game Association, located in Orange County, was incorporated in 1914. It was a new sportsman club made up of local residents in Newburgh, New Windsor and Town of Newburgh, plus members from other county towns and villages. Those early pioneers were responsible for early stocking of bass, pickerel, panfish, and the rumor of pike. They also were responsible for lake outflow, general cleanup of waters and shores and monthly meetings.
The beginning forefathers were Henry Kernahan, Bill Fenwick, James Walls and George Mould. Early directors were Silas Beers, Fred Kernahan, Bill Merrit and John Rothery. Members of the families still live in eastern Orange County….it’s called “history.” Access to Orange Lake was through fields and swamps or through the yards of the few houses on the lake. The outflow of the lake was used to power the water wheels of several mills, making products for early industry.
In the 20‘s, 30‘s and 40‘s OLFGA was composed of 40 to 50 members, probably half fished and hunted waterfowl and the rest used the lake for recreation. In 1942, the club got its first legal access to the lake when Thomas Chadwick donated the lot you see today to OLFGA. The membership had grown to 70 members. After 1946, membership was opened to sportsmen from Sullivan and Ulster counties. Active members grew to over 100.
In the late 50‘s club officers decided it was time for a boat launch and parking lot. Material to fill the lot was donated from construction companies and NYS demolition of local bridges being replaced. There‘s even a rumor of a Newburgh trolley being part of the fill! In 1959 the boat launch was graveled in and the slide–off hole for boat trailers was dug. Members now had an official launch and a lockable gate was installed on Route 52. Final fill work was completed in ‘63 and Tom Chadwick sold the lot to OLFGA in ‘73
In the 1970‘s Ray Wheat and Donald King were two presidents who led the club into the modern era. It was also the time when the NYS–DEC became partners with the club in protecting the waters and the shorelines of Orange Lake. Regulations now had to be followed by all lake users, home owners and club members
During the 80‘s Tommy Curtis, Walter McKeon and Pete Kosloski served their terms as presidents. What came next was unusual for sporting clubs! Carol Home of Walden, NY was elected president of OLFGA in 1987. Her family loved activities on the lake and they were avid fishermen. Carol always wanted a pavilion for club functions and Family Day. Long time member, Dave Scheer, suggested to Carol that they should ask Ed Stumpf to take on the job of getting a pavilion built. Ed was the member who suggested club fishing tournaments be started and Carol and club members said yes in 1990.
Stumpf, who served as a board member, contacted the DEC for permission and the Town of Newburgh for a building permit. In 1992, after buying a pavilion kit locally in Florida, NY, the construction began and was completed that summer. Picnic tables were added for member enjoyment. Also included were a scoreboard for tournament stat results, a grill for cooking, a weigh–in table and attached floating docks for boating anglers. Family Day was celebrated on the new pavilion that year and the kids loved it.
Carol Horne retired as president in December of 1992 and nominated Ed Stumpf to replace her effective Jan. 1,1993. The motion was passed and so began a 20 year presidency for Stumpf. Club membership was static at 300 having reached that number during the late 80‘s.
During the 80‘s Tommy Curtis, Walter McKeon and Pete Kosloski served their terms as presidents. What came next was unusual for sporting clubs! Carol Home of Walden, NY was elected president of OLFGA in 1987. Her family loved activities on the lake and they were avid fishermen. Carol always wanted a pavilion for club functions and Family Day. Long time member, Dave Scheer, suggested to Carol that they should ask Ed Stumpf to take on the job of getting a pavilion built. Ed was the member who suggested club fishing tournaments be started and Carol and club members said yes in 1990.
Stumpf, who served as a board member, contacted the DEC for permission and the Town of Newburgh for a building permit. In 1992, after buying a pavilion kit locally in Florida, NY, the construction began and was completed that summer. Picnic tables were added for member enjoyment. Also included were a scoreboard for tournament stat results, a grill for cooking, a weigh–in table and attached floating docks for boating anglers. Family Day was celebrated on the new pavilion that year and the kids loved it.
Carol Horne retired as president in December of 1992 and nominated Ed Stumpf to replace her effective Jan. 1,1993. The motion was passed and so began a 20 year presidency for Stumpf. Club membership was static at 300 having reached that number during the late 80‘s.